The Denver Fringe Festival
The Denver Fringe Festival is an open-application festival that supports bold, progressive arts and diverse voices in all genres of performance arts. We support independent and emerging artists by encouraging new work, providing a variety of performance venues, promoting the festival and selling advance tickets online. We also support open access to the arts by making sure people can enjoy edgy, eclectic performance – original theatre, comedy, improv, cabaret, dance, immersive theatre – at an affordable price.
The Fringe format started 70 years ago in Edinburgh, Scotland, when groups of artists gathered to perform on the outskirts of the city. That tradition spread, and now Fringe is a national and international phenomenon with festivals in major cities all over the world.
The Denver Fringe Festival brings Fringe performance – original, innovative and experimental – to creative venues at an affordable price. We believe live performance entertains, enlightens, and empowers, and that bringing artists and audiences together helps cultivate vibrant, inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable communities.
Our goals are to:
- Support emerging and established artists in a variety of performance arts
- Make performance arts more accessible and inclusive
- Build community around inspiring live performance
Statement of Commitment
As an open-access performing arts festival, we are committed to supporting independent artists, promoting self-expression and a diversity of voices in the arts, making the performing arts accessible to all, and building community through an inclusive, annual festival. In addition, we are committed to:
- Supporting both emerging and established artists
- Providing a platform for new work to be developed
- Encouraging creativity and pushing the boundaries of performance art
- Creating performance opportunities for as many artists as possible
- Keeping participation costs low for artists
- Maintaining an inclusive festival with a diversity of artistic voices
- Ensuring accessibility for all people by keeping ticket prices low
- Maintaining proactive outreach efforts to all communities so that our festival represents – both in the performers and the audiences – the full diversity of humanity
The Denver Fringe Festival does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all performers, attendees, members of our staff, volunteers, contractors and vendors.
We acknowledge that Denver sits on the ancestral lands of indigenous peoples that that include the Tsétsėhéstaestse (Cheyenne), the Hinono’eiteen (Arapaho), Nuche (Ute), and Oceti Sakowin (Lakota) nations and pay our respect to the diverse peoples connected to this land.